I’ve been waiting for this game for a LONG time. I had a huge presentation this week and shit… I was still thinking about today’s matchup. The Eagles are a top team in the NFL and we’re also a good team too! They score a lot, we score a lot. As mentioned before, we’re in the rougher part of our schedule and I LOVE it. I love that this team is getting tested. You’ll never grow playing against bootsy squads.
I was so juiced today, it felt like a playoff game (yeah I still remember). I was up in front of the screen like a little kid. And we got a great game today. It was a lot of fun. There’s soo much to go over.
- Like before, I just didn’t wanna get embarrassed… that’s all. I wanted an honest effort that showed that we were heading in the right direction. At the beginning of the game, this wasn’t the case.
- We were getting fucked by Carson Wentz. I don’t like to cuss on this blog, or in general, but my god we were getting fucked by Carson Wentz. We had 0 answers for him or the Eagles offense (well we did decent on Run defense).
- I respected Wentz before, but like always, you gotta play against my teams to get my full respect. I really really respect Wentz now. He’s an amazing QB. First of all, he’s already ok as a pocket passer. Good, strong arm. Tall in the pocket. That’s great. But what sets him over the top is his ability to elude the pass rush. He’s really really really good at extending plays and throwing on the run, which makes it super hard for defensive coordinators to decide whether to blitz and have less people back in coverage, or just sit back and have Wentz spend all day in the pocket, which happened A LOT today and it was really hurting us.
- As a result the Eagles had like 300 yards of offense in the first half along with 24 points.
- For us, we had a tough time getting started in the first half, but we had some big time plays that led to 14 points at the end of the first half. This included an INT in the first quarter that led to a Gurley TD. And then the biggest of them all, was Cooper Kupp making a huge catch and run when we were down 7-21 with little momentum. He would then catch a huge TD with his fingertips to give us 14 points.
- I think we all know this by now, but if you don’t, the McVay era Rams do not quit. With the ball back to start the 2nd half, down by 10 against a tough Eagles team, Goff and Gurley led an amazing drive for a TD. THEN, the defense stepped up and gifted us a 3 and out against Wentz. THEN we came up with a huge punt block for a TD to take the lead. The Trifecta. It’s beautiful.
- But it’s the little things that kill us.
- I don’t like blaming refs, but jesus christ dude. I’ll name a few that I believe I have a good case against. First was a pass interference call on Trumaine Johnson (I believe). IF the defender looks back at the ball when it’s in flight, he has every right to the football as the receiver and that’s what our defender did. Wentz underthrew the ball which led to Jeffery coming back for it and making contact (HE forced the contact), plus Tru was looking at the ball. Yet it was a pass interference on us.
- Then there was this bullshit “unsportsmanlike penalty” given to Trumaine Johnson after he broke up a play which would’ve led to a FG attempt. This is a big game with a lot of emotions. EVEN if it wasn’t a big game and it was between some trash teams, this shouldn’t even be called! Players trash talk all the time. Tru didn’t even push him or punch him or snatch his chain or did anything to injure the Eagles WR, but he still got called??? I mean, what could he have possibly said??? Did he say biiiiiitch??? Instead, the chains moved and Wentz got a TD.
- Then there was a weird “leverage” call on a FG. I think this is called when a defender LEAPS over a player like a leapfrog type thing, but I didn’t see that. If i understand you can still jump over offensive linemen??? I’m not sure but we lost a lot of time on that.
- Of course there were some iffy holding calls that were missed that we can argue about, and maybe we’ll rewatch and find out if they really missed them. But whatever…
- BUT the refs aren’t the reason we lost. Our inability to stop Wentz in the first half killed us. Our inability to SCORE on offense and GAIN momentum AFTER we finally stopped Wentz killed us even more. Our inability to not score on our final possession killed us.
- Other notes. Uhh…I think Jared Goff was average today. We didn’t have Robert Woods again, which made things a lot easier for the Eagles defense who was clearly prepared for us today. Goff was getting pressured pretty bad and at one point had his helmet knocked off. There were some weird throws by Goff that should’ve got picked off including one in the endzone that was really awful.
- Lastly, Goff had another late game opportunity today. Remember when I would nitpick Goff’s problems, one of them being that he seems to get too comfortable in the pocket (takes too much time), well guess what, he got strip sacked by Chris Long to end the game. You can argue that we lost our right tackle just before and that he didn’t take too long in the pocket, but Goff sometimes leaves that ball hanging out there ready to get stripped…AND it finally happened.
- What else…uhh, Todd Gurley was fucking amazing today. He ran his ass off and made some big plays, definitely the co-MVP with our special teams.
- We DID complete the trifecta today (offense, special teams, and defense) but we finally lost.
- Our secondary is really thin, but damn they did make some big plays today and I thought we did a lot better in the 2nd half, but we gotta stop being good in the 2nd half and actually be good the entire game because giving up 24 points early is not going to help.
It was a solid effort from us and I’m proud, again. We have a lot of holes in our team that need to be patched up, but as for right now, I still believe we are competitive and can compete in the playoffs.
Good game Philly bruhs, I’m actually going to watch the Sixers game after I post this. I really hope Wentz is ok. Yeah the seahawks lost today too (“you telllll meee”). Off to Seattle next week for another crazy game. I’m just glad that Rams football matters in December.