I was scared of the Jacksonville Jagwahs. They’re a team on the rise, just like us, but where we do it on offense (for the most part) , they do it on defense. My mentality with all sports is that defense will always win championships.
Today, the special teams won for us…again.
- Before I could even settle down at home and take my clothes off, 14 points were put up during the first minute of play. I missed Pharoh Cooper‘s big kick return for a TD. That’s another big return from him, he had a big one against the Cowboys that helped us win.
- On the flip side, I missed Leonard Fournette‘s big TD run soon after. It’s no surprise this happened. Although the last 6 quarters of Rams defense has been decent, we’ve had a LOT of trouble stopping the run this season. I honestly felt that Fournette was gonna break the rushing record today. He had 100 yards before halfway thru the first quarter…yikes.
- The Rams theme this season is “…but we’re still in the game.” Despite all our mistakes this year, we’ve always found a way to keep ourselves in the game. Today, despite an awful first quarter of defense, we found ourselves up 10 at the half.
- Special teams played a big part, of course. We had the Pharoh TD to start, then we had a huge punt block for a TD, then Hekker did his thang, and then a long 56 yard kick from Legatron.
- And that would be it. Our defense clamped up after the first quarter, with some help of a pretty lackluster Jagwahs offense led by Blake “I’m Gonna Throw an INT” Bortles. For our offense, we were able to string a few good drives to get some points, including a key drive into the redzone where we scored a much needed touchdown. Plus, we only had one turnover today, which was mainly due to the Jagwahs’ defender making a great play to strip Woods.
- So while it was our special teams that came up big, it was the whole team coming thru that gave us a W, which is pretty damn satisfying for Rams fans.
- Robert Woods is continuing to be very solid for us. He has great hands. He did cough up a fumble, which wasn’t his fault, and missed an open pass for a long 3rd down conversion, but it seems like Woods is Goff’s #1 guy.
- Speaking of Jared Goff, he wasn’t super spectacular today. He made the right throws and avoided turning the ball over, but a lot of missed deep balls was very worrisome. He failed to connect with Sammy Watkins a couple times, which I hope he can figure out. It was nice to see Goff air it out though.
- Todd Gurley was solid today, still running strong.
- Defensively, I was proud that the defense got it together after the first quarter. But man, we gotta learn how to tackle.
What a solid win today. I’m still getting used to this new competent football team that has a chance to win every week. It’s truly bizarre…I didn’t think we’d beat this Jagwahs defense, but we came through. Crazy…
The Rams are 4-2 for the first time since 2006. We’re on top of the NFC West. We’re young as hell, well not Wade Phillips. London game next week. GO RAMS!